The Story of First Methodist Church of Brazoria, TX
Our faith-community began in response to freedom. During the early half of the 19 Century, when Mexico occupied Texas, all denominations and congregations that were not Roman Catholic were forbidden from establishing places of worship. When Texas became independent, new congregations were immediately formed, including a congregation of Methodists here in Brazoria, the place where Texas was born.
The Union Church building, built in 1853 in Old Town Brazoria, was across the road from the Country Court-House. This building served three congregations of Christ-followers: The Methodists, the Episcopalians, and the Presbyterians. The building stood on a plot of eight lots given to the Union Church by Mrs. Emily Austin Perry, the sister of Stephen F. Austin.
The Great Hurricane of 1900 blew off the roof of the Union Church Building, and also did extensive damage. The remains of the Union Church building were demolished in order to build a new sanctuary for worship. This time it was to be used solely by the Brazoria Methodist Episcopal Church, South, on the same location. The new sanctuary and parsonage were finished in 1908. This remained the home for the "people called Methodists" until 1932 when it too was heavily damaged by another hurricane.
The building was then moved to the "new" town of Brazoria to the corner of Alabama and Main Streets, on land donated by Mr. J.V. Hinkle, Sr. The"old sanctuary" is currently used as a residence near City Hall (the picture to the right was taken in summer 2009)
The congregation moved again in 1966 to the present location in the Garden Acres subdivision in Brazoria. The land was donated to the church by Mr. George Badge. A basketball court and playground were added in 1979 and 1980.
But the story of First Methodist Church is not just about buildings; it's about changed lives. It is about lives impacted by the power and love of Jesus Christ. This love and truth has been the foundation of this group of believers for nearly 175 years. The fellowship of Methodists have witnessed Texas joining the United States, the Civil War, the Reconstruction, the age of innovation, World War I, the Great Depression, World War II, the Apollo Moon Landings, the Cold War, and now the age of incredible technology. For three centuries, the people called "First Methodist" have been: serving the community, loving God, loving others, and growing in faith, growing in knowledge of God's Word, and growing in the number of impacted lives. New challenges and new blessings await the people of First Methodist Church as we keep moving forward into the 21 Century!